KSYL Local News

News For Tuesday 08/30/16

News for Tuesday 083016

By Dave Graichen


Tropical Depression Nine may struggle a bit in the southern Gulf of Mexico before finally making a Gulf Coast landfall later this week with soaking rain and gusty winds. As the National Hurricane Center's (NHC) forecast path shows, this tropical cyclone is forecast to eventually turn northeast on a path toward the Florida Gulf Coast Thursday. So, for now, the heaviest total rainfall from this tropical system through Friday appears to line up over western Cuba, South and central Florida, including the Florida Keys, where many locations look primed to pick up at least 3 inches of total rainfall.


The search continues in north Louisiana for three inmates who escaped from the Natchitoches Parish Detention Center on Saturday. Authorities say Michael Elliot, Walshea Mitchell and Willie Ethridge scaled a fence with two rolls of razor wire to gain freedom. The three men are serving time for convictions that range from attempted to second-degree murder to theft. If you spot one of these escaped jail birds, contact 9-1-1.


The Governor’s Office announces registration is now open for the Shelter At Home Program. Communications Director Richard Carbo says registering for FEMA does not register someone for this program. He encourages everyone to register for federal aid, but reminds people they need to apply for this program separately. He says the program awards up to $15-thousand for home repairs so that people can get back into their homes quickly. Go to gov-dot-louisiana-dot-gov for more details.


Republican Congressman Ralph Abraham of Richland Parish and the rest of Louisiana’s Congressional delegation sent a letter to FEMA Administrator Craig Fugate, asking for a flood relief cost-share reduction for not only the south Louisiana flood, but also the one that hit north Louisiana in March. Abraham says the feds will cover 75% of the flood response and relief costs, while state and local governments are on the hook for the other 25%. Abraham says they are asking that the federal government cover 90% of the cost for both historic floods.


US Representative Garrett Graves of Baton Rouge toured the flood devastated areas of the state with Florida Congressman John Mica, and Mica then criticized FEMA for being slow to get people into temporary housing units. Graves says they understand there are 1,300 FEMA manufactured homes available around the country, but as far as he knows only one has been set up in Louisiana. Graves says he is not pleased that FEMA won’t let people set up the manufactured homes in their yards if they’re in a flood plain.


Agriculture Commissioner Mike Strain says pets separated from their displaced owner during the flood have been moved from their mobile shelter to a new shelter at the Dixon Correctional Institute in East Feliciana Parish. Strain says many of the pet owners are in a shelter in Baton Rouge. The mobile shelter was housing 45 dogs and 34 cats. He says the move comes as a result of a donation from the Humane Society.


Between a police ambush and historic flooding, the US Senate race has taken a backseat. But Jeremy Alford of LaPolitics.com says the campaign should start to ramp up soon. Alford says  there’s still 10 weeks to go before the election day, which can be an eternity in politics, especially in Louisiana.


According to the personal finance website Kiplinger, Louisiana is the sixth most tax-friendly state in the US. Sandra Block with Kiplinger says Louisiana’s property taxes are the third lowest in the country. Louisiana’s gas tax is 10-cents below the national average, and the income tax rate is about 3%. Block says Louisiana did not do well in the sales tax category, as the state sales tax is now up to 5-cents.  Block says there are tradeoffs in states with lower taxes, because there are less dollars for schools, public services, and roads.


State troopers have arrested a wanted California sex offender who was travelling through Louisiana. Master Trooper Brooks David says they also rescued four missing children who were in the vehicle with 37-year-old Joseph Moreno and 37-year-old Penny Rascon. David says the children were ages 4, 6, 7 and 8, and all were missing out of California.


Redshirt freshman J’mar Smith gets the nod over Price Wilson and Smith will start at quarterback for Louisiana Tech this Saturday when they kick-off the season at Arkansas. You can hear that game on 1410 ESPN and 93.1 HD3


The 5th ranked LSU Tigers will kick-off the season on Saturday against an unranked Wisconsin squad, who will start a fifth year senior quarterback. Twenty-three-year-old Bart Houston is set to make his first collegiate start. LSU Coach Les Miles says he’s a talented kid. You can hear that game on 970 KSYL, 96.9 KZMZ


970 KSYL On Air Now

The Money Pit
The Money Pit
4:00pm - 6:00pm
The Money Pit

94.7 ESPN On Air Now

Local Events






Station Tour

Station Tour