Jim McIsaac/Getty Images(DENVER) -- Washington Nationals placed third baseman Ryan Zimmerman on the 15-day disabled list Wednesday due to a strained right hamstring.
This is the second time this season Zimmerman will head to the DL. Earlier this year he missed 44 games with a broken right thumb.
The injury occurred while Zimmerman was attempting to run to first base to beat out a ground ball in the sixth inning of the Nationals win over the Rockies Tuesday.
Zimmerman had an MRI prior to the team's game Wednesday, but has not yet received the results.
"He's pretty sore today," Nationals skipper Matt Williams said. "It's actually a little worse (than Tuesday night). When I spoke with him this morning, he hadn't had any treatment on it. When you're hot and it happens, it doesn't feel as bad as it does the next morning."
Zimmerman has played in 53 games this season and is hitting .282 with five home runs, 36 RBIs and a .345 on-base percentage.
Infielder Zack Walters was recalled from Triple-A Syracuse to take Zimmerman's roster spot.
(NEW YORK) -- Restricted free agent winger Chris Kreider has avoided arbitration and agreed on a two-year contract with the New York Rangers.
ESPN reports Kreider will make an average of $2.475 million annually.
Kreider was selected by the Rangers with the 19th overall pick in the 2009 NHL Draft. Last season, the 23-year-old scored 17 goals and dished out 20 assists in 66 regular season games for the Blue Shirts.
The Rangers and Kreider came to terms just before their arbitration hearing that was scheduled for 9 a.m. Wednesday.
Mike McGinnis/Getty Images(OAKLAND, Calif.) -- The Houston Astros placed rookie outfielder George Springer on the 15-day disabled list Wednesday with strained left quadriceps.
Springer claims he was hurt on July 9, when he slammed into a wall, after making a catch against the Rangers.
The move is retroactive to Sunday.
"He's been day to day, and we could have continued to keep him day to day because obviously taking him out of the equation for two weeks is a blow to the team, but the way Springer plays the game is 100 percent," Houston general manager Jeff Luhnow said. "Even if we use him as a pinch-hitter or a DH and he's in the game and he hits a ground ball he's going to run 100 percent. In order to protect him from himself for a certain extent, we kind of need to force him to get some rest."
Springer leads the team with 20 home runs and is hitting .231 with 51 RBIs through 78 games.
Outfielder Marc Krauss has been recalled from Triple-A Oklahoma City to take Springer's roster spot.
Dave Sandford/Getty Images(DENVER) -- The Colorado Avalanche signed center Ryan O'Reilly to a two-year contract Wednesday that keeps the 23-year-old in Colorado through the 2015-16 season and avoids arbitration.
O'Reilly won the Lady Byng Memorial Trophy, which is given to the player that best exemplifies gentlemanly conduct, and also led the team with 28 goals last last season.
"We are pleased to have Ryan under contract," Avalanche executive vice president of hockey operations Joe Sakic said. "We are looking at the upcoming training camp and season with a lot of excitement."
ESPN.com's Scott Burnside reports the contract contains a cap hit of $5.8 million in the first year and $6.2 million in the second year.
O'Reilly was selected by the Avalanche with the 33rd overall pick in the 2009 NHL Draft. During his five seasons in Colorado, O'Reilly has played in 345 games, recording 73 goals and 191 points.
Jason O. Wastson/Getty Images(NEW YORK) -- Kansas City Chiefs running back Jamaal Charles' contract dispute with the team was short lived: ESPN is reporting that Charles will report to training camp after he and the team agreed on a two-year contract extension.
Charles did not report to training camp on Wednesday at Missouri Western State University, but he is on his way to camp now that a deal has been reached.
His original deal had two years remaining on it, but his new deal runs through 2017. The new arrangement will pay Charles $18.1 million for the additional two years. He will make an extra $5.1 million over the next two seasons, including a $4.4 million raise this year.
The 27-year-old Charles is arguably one of the biggest offensive weapons in the NFL. This past season for the Chiefs, he ran for 1,287 yards, had 70 catches for 693 yards, and scored 19 total touchdowns in 2013.
He also provided a league-high 35.3 percent of the team's yards from scrimmage, and has a career average of 5.6 yards per carry.
Doug Pensinger/Getty Images(NEW YORK) -- After seven seasons in the NFL, Seattle Seahawks wide receiver Sidney Rice has decided to retire from the sport of football at the age of 27.
ESPN is reporting that Rice is walking away from the game because of a history or concussions.
"After careful consideration and seven wonderful years playing in the National Football League, including the last three for the Seattle Seahawks, I have decided to retire from playing in the National Football League," Rice said in the statement. "I have enjoyed my experiences with all of my coaches, teammates and passionate Seahawks fans."
Rice was a second-round draft pick out of South Carolina in 2007 by the Minnesota Vikings. His best season came in 2009 when he caught 83 passes for 1,312 yards with eight touchdowns.
Injuries have kept him off the field for much of the time since that season. He played a full season in 2012, but he's missed 25 games from 2010-20-13.
Rice had re-signed with the Seahawks for $1 million during the offseason.
Scott Boehm/Getty Images(NEW YORK) -- Denver Broncos owner Pat Bowlen announced on Wednesday that he has stepped down from his post as he is battling Alzheimer's disease.
"In recent years, Denver Broncos owner Pat Bowlen has taken a reduced role with his team while courageously and privately battling Alzheimer's disease," the team said in a statement.
"The Broncos are very saddened that Mr. Bowlen is no longer able to be part of the team's daily operations due to his condition. We continue to offer our full support, compassion and respect to 'Mr. B,' who has faced Alzheimer's disease with such dignity and strength."
Bowlen has been the owner of the team since 1984 and has seen his team go to six Super Bowls, winning back-to-back titles in 1997 and 1998. The Broncos have a .604 win percentage under Bowlen's tenure and are worth $1.1-billion according to Forbes.
Team president Joe Ellis will take over control of the Broncos.
"This is a sad day for the NFL," commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement to The Denver Post. "Pat Bowlen's leadership has been critical to the success of the Broncos and the entire NFL. From building a championship team that is a pillar of the community to his important work for the league on television and labor matters, Pat's love of the game drove him and we have all benefited from his passion and wisdom. But the time has come for Pat to focus on his health and we fully support him. Joe Ellis has been a trusted executive for Pat for many years after working with us at the league office. Joe's deep experience ensures that the Broncos will continue to have strong leadership."
Elsa/Getty Images(FOXBOROUGH, Mass.) -- New England Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski has been cleared to play by doctors and will be ready for training camp on Thursday, head coach Bill Belichick said Wednesday.
"It's a positive," said veteran offensive lineman Logan Mankins, one of the Patriots' captains. "We were all hoping Gronk would have a good recovery and so far he has. Anytime you can have Gronk on the field, it's great."
Gronkowski underwent surgery on his right ACL on Jan. 9 and has fully recovered.
Gronkowski said last week that he plans on playing in all 16 games this season. "I'm always antsy to get back on the field, no matter when it is. I just want to play football. I love playing the game," he said then.
The Patriots open up against the Miami Dolphins on Sept. 7.